Now that I am officially 25, I wanted to post about my plans for my 25th year of life. I often times find myself so engaged in myself and not what’s going on around me that it’s embarrassing. It actually brought me to tears near the ending of 2013, the fact that I focus so much on myself and could care less about those who are around me. As a young woman who is seeking to follow Christ and to become more like him, this is not a habit that I want to have. So, to help me focus less on me and more on those around me, I have decided to #ShineALight on 25 charities and to complete 25 (at least) #RandomActsOfKindness in my 25th year of life.
I have a tentative list for both of these, but I am willing to take suggestions and ideas for both.
25 Charities/Ways To Help Others
*They are in no specific order. You will also notice that some of these charities are not actual charities but people that I can help along the way to further the gospel of Jesus Christ by bringing #Kingdom*
- Lake Mead Christian Academy
- Your Local Rescue Mission/Food Bank
- World Vision (Adopt A Child)
- Boys & Girls Club of America
- Habitat for Humanity
- Find someone you know going on an upcoming mission trip, help them spread the good news of Jesus with the people they are going to come into contact with, by giving to their trip.
- 268 Generation
- Alex’s Lemonade Stand
- People Water
- Beat bullying: “You Can Speak Out Now”
- Project Linus
- Angel Tree
- Prevent Child Abuse America
- Global Hunger Project
*Once again, these are not listed in any specific order. You can also see that I only have 23/25, so if anyone has any ideas, please shoot them my way.*
- Load bags of groceries into cars for shoppers.
- Inconspicuously drop coins on the playground for children to find while they played.
- Feed parking meters. (February 1, 2014)
- Buy a gift card for groceries and give it to the person behind you in line.
- Walk up to a family eating lunch at a local restaurant, place a gift card on their table and walked out.
- Drop off several hand written thank you notes and doughnuts at the police station.
- Give a dozen hot doughnuts to a very cold crew working on the power lines.
- Take a large bag of clothes to the local homeless shelter.
- Pay for the woman’s coffee behind me in line at Starbucks. (February 1, 2014)
10. Tuck happy notes in car doors in parking lot wishing people a good day full of God’s blessings.
11. Take art supplies to the Family Waiting Room of labor & delivery floor of the hospital for new big brothers and sisters to be.
12. Spend time volunteering at a local children’s hospital
13. Hand out water bottles to very appreciative nurses.
14. Tape change to vending machines
15. Deliver handwritten Valentine cards to the local assisted living facility.
16. Wrote a letter to old friend and mailed it (yeah, the total old fashioned way).
17. Took plates of cookies to 2 neighbors I don’t really know and spent some time talking with them.
18. Read a story to children in Barnes & Noble
19. Leave a small treat with a note of thanks for the mailman.
20. Babysitt for my pastor’s family for free/Free Parents Night Out For Your Church
21. Blessing Bags for homeless you see on the street
22. Leave 5 $1 in the dollar bins at target
23. Leave a larger tip for your waiter/waitress than normal